Sunday, August 8, 2010

What and How and Why??

It is time for me to re-review my books and cds as different behaviors in H are becoming more prevalent. If anyone happens to know off the top of their heads what this crazy talk is of hers, why she is doing it, what it does for her, etc I would appreciate the reminder. Also, how to handle when she is telling others that aren't aware of our situation crazy stuff? For example(s):
We dog sit for a friend of mine fairly often and this week has been one of those times. My friend is pretty aware but her husband and children really aren't. This morning he came to pick up their dog and H proceeds to tell him that the little 8 pound fuzzball ate a frog. I know this didn't happen because she tried to tell me that as I sat and watched her try to put the frog in the dog's mouth the night before. I did the head shake thing but I could tell he was trying to figure out whether to believe her and if he should be concerned for his pup. I texted my friend after they left to inform her and it wasn't a big deal but this is an example of what H does. This evening I took the kids to the park and H strikes up a conversation with a lady (stranger) I was talking with. Here goes the crazy rolling off her tongue and the lady was in disbelief with what she was hearing. I gently corrected H and swiftly got us away from there. I don't want to embarrass H but I am not sure how to handle these situations any better. Being the crazy family is one thing but looking like it, I don't like so much.

4 comments:

GB's Mom said...

I understand you don't want to look like a crazy family. So, either that is why H is doing it, or there is something new there

Anonymous said...

I finally just accepted it because it was too hard and stressful to control, so now I just smile and say "Sorry we have some psych issues", and try to act like a parent with a kid with more visible disabilities.
They don't have to be embarrassed in public, rather usually they get more empathy.
It was the only way I could get people to accept that I wasn't crazy or a bad parent that caused this behavior, and it feels so freeing and much less stressful.

Elisha Tomberlin Bidwell said...

Have you had a follow up to the initial psych eval?

marythemom said...

I would imagine it is linked to the crazy lying of RAD. This wasn't one of the behaviors we dealt with extensively, but it is pretty common. I'm not sure the exact reasons behind it, but I do know some of it is because their brains just don't work like ours. They don't get cause and effect, and even not getting object permanence effects their reasoning skills which I'd assume would lead right to the crazy talk/lying (you can see this in some Katharine Leslie stuff I posted - http://marythemom-mayhem.blogspot.com/2010/03/katharine-leslie-seminar-object_31.html).

I don't think they do it on purpose, but that doesn't make it any less embarrasing or stressful. Most of the time I have to remind myself of their developmental age (way younger than their real ages) and that this is most likely a defense mechanism that kept them safe when they were younger - they just don't know how to turn it off now that it's not necessary.

Mary in TX