Friday, November 19, 2010

Wow...Wow...Wow

So Miss H steals my old cell phone that doesn't have service and takes it to school today, somehow, since she isn't allowed to carry a backpack anymore. She flashes it around for everyone to see and when asked by the teacher, H says that her brother is in the hospital and she needs the phone in case I need to get a hold of her. I don't have to tell you that none of this is true.

Then later, she is disruptive and mouths off to the teacher, she is sent to the office and I get to sign a nice form about how my daughter acted out. How exactly does this help her?

BTW, I am reading a book:
Attachment Disorders: Treatment Strategies for Traumatized Children by Catherine Swanson Cain
I will review it for you once I finish but so far, VERY informative!

2 comments:

marythemom said...

We had something similar happen, except our daughter really was in the hospital, and my RAD son manipulated for tons of privileges (including calling us 3-4 times a day) and got tons of sympathy while in residential treatment. We finally called the desk to find out what was going on. He was so good at manipulation he rarely got in trouble.

That stinks that the school is being so unhelpful. I still think you need to make them have a parent/teacher (+admin) conference and talk about how to actually help Miss H.

Mary in TX

Alyssa said...

We have lived with PTSD and RAD for the last three years our family just watched a movie the other night that you may enjoy/find refreshing. It is a pretty old one(maybe from the 80's?) we happened on to it on netflixs. It's called 'Clifford' with Martin short playing the 10 year old boy. We were thinking it was a sweet little movie about the big red dog. It turned out to be somethign completely different. Someone somewhere had experienced a truly troubled child and created a dramatized movie about it. Situations most people would consider completely over-the-top, but that seemed pretty likely after what we have lived with. I still can't decide if I liked it or not, but I know we all laughed right out loud a few times in disbelief as it was an uncanny depiction of our daily life (minus the angry unkind parents of course). Anyway if you're in need of some comic(?) releif find it and watch it. It's always nice to know your not alone, it's not you or your imagination it's reality for some.